Sunday, March 28, 2010

Nancy Pelosi

I was in the dental office the other day, discussing an upcoming extraction and implant, and one of the dentists cracked, "It'll be uncomfortable, but not as bad as a date with Nancy Pelosi."

I'm afraid I gave him my sternest displeased teacher look, and told him I'd probably enjoy a date with Nancy Pelosi. Hopefully, this will not make my impending extraction more painful, but I'm totally sick of the Pelosi jokes. What makes Pelosi, one of the most skilled political leaders of my lifetime, at least, an acceptable target for wisecracks?

Oh, right. She's, uh, how do you say it... female? It seems like it might still be okay to be openly resentful of, and spiteful towards, a woman who exercises real power — and feels no more need than a man to be "charming" about it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of a good alternative explanation. Of course, the raving diatribes against her by right-wing media might lead more reasonable people to think that "gentler" digs are okay.

Anyway, if I did have a chance to take her to dinner, I'm sure the conversation would be fascinating, stimulating, and informative. And so, Madame Speaker, consider that a standing invitation.

No comments: