Friday, April 11, 2008

Just more general outrage (and despair)

I haven't posted for a while, but not because I've ceased to be generally outraged. Actually, I may have gone beyond outrage -- I've been feeling sick. The same information available to me is available to everybody else, including, of course, our esteemed presidential contenders. Needless to say, I don't expect anything more from McCain than he's already delivered, and and that's just his prescription for the continued looting of America by the super-rich. Ho-hum.

I'd hoped for a bit more from the Democrats, but I'm accustomed to unfulfilled hopes. If hopes are things with feathers, mine have been to the taxidermist -- they won't fly. For all their blather about helping the middle class, neither Clinton nor Obama is saying anything that hints at any re-redistribution of wealth, reversing the upward redistribution that's been going on for the past quarter-century. There's nothing about making taxation genuinely progressive again, or about removing some of the for-profit private contractors who have been taking over the functions of government and getting rich on our tax dollars.

Actually, there was one ray of hope from Obama: he's called for removing the cap on payroll taxes, so that those with the six and seven figure salaries will be taxed at the same rate as your average stockboy or bus driver. My guess is that even if the Democrats win a large majority in both houses of Congress, it still won't happen, though. Those who serve in Congress, along with all their friends and relatives, are in that six-figure and up category.

No comments: