Saturday, November 24, 2018
News analysts, once again, had to come up with a term to describe Tr*mp's approach to foreign policy. Seizing on his emphasis of $110 billion dollars in imaginary arms contracts, once again they settled on transactional.
Other terms come to mind — "morally bankrupt" is a strong contender — but rule books at major media outlets demand the appearance of neutrality, and transactional is such a neutral sounding word! It started me thinking, though. Rather than transactional, they could have used corporate.
The Supreme Court long has recognized corporate personhood. (The recent Hobby Lobby decision maintains that a corporation is enough of a person to have religious beliefs!) Unlike your average person, though, corporations have but a single objective: to increase the wealth of shareholders. Pretty much any corporate "person" would have made exactly the same decision as Tr*mp: their values appear to be identical. Tr*mp just might be the embodiment of corporate personhood.
If a corporation really were a person, driven by a single goal to the exclusion of all others, that person would be diagnosed as psychotic. Presumably, Our President has a variety of goals; but, as we've seen, his approach to all of them is the same — transactional.
Saturday, November 17, 2018
I haven't posted lately because I try to avoid belaboring the obvious. but I'll make an exception this time to reassure my readers that I'm still alive:
- Voter suppression works, as demonstrated by Brian Kemp, the new governor of Georgia.
- "Florida Man" can be a woman, as demonstrated by Brenda C. Snipes, election commissioner of Broward County.
- Nancy Pelosi will be Speaker again, if only because nobody else is willing to take all that grief; but she's also the only one capable of doing the job at this time.
- MbS personally ordered the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, but the Tr*mp Administration will find a way to ignore that fact.
- Fox News and Russia's TASS news agency are locked in a bitter struggle to determine which can be more slanted and misleading.
- Nobody has any clear idea of how to cope with the ecological catastrophe that is California.
- Matt Whitaker is an affront to the rule of law, but then so is the rest of the Tr*mp Administration.
- You can't fight a trade war with China and expect them to maintain sanctions against North Korea at the same time.